Our client had worked on this garden over the years, but it had got to a stage that some serious work was needed to bring it back to a maintainable state. The brief was quite simple.The client wanted a garden that worked for their family. They also wanted the option of the placement of a marquee for future events.
I designed a series of pathways once the clearance work was completed, which was framed with treated pine wood. I also designed a Rhododendron walk along the river side and beside this developed a fernery with some interest fern varieties in the more shady, damp region of the garden.
We built a cedar gazebo to draw the eye and create an area to dine in the summer months. Beside this we built a fire pit made from some cast iron water pipe. Alongside the river back we planted some clump forming bamboo such as red dragon & blue dragon. We also planted a few hundred Liriope muscari to help retain the river bank which is subject to erosion.
Closer to the house we needed to redesign the driveway and edging - this with a material in keeping with the property. We created mounds close to the house which was planted with two specimen Japanese maples. We allowed for ample parking and plenty of colour on entering the property. The driveway was lined with box and we planted allium and other spring bulbs. Salvias were clumped together and Nadina domestica formed the structure to the planted bed. Hydragea Limelight and Annabella will fill and develop with time.